People no longer have to go to official networking events in order to meet other professionals. The Internet & social media have made networking as easy as the click of a button.
What does that mean for recent graduates or people who want to find a new life path?
Get online and network, network, network!
All of the resources are available right at your fingertips. All you have to do is harness them and figure out what works best for you.
Currently I’m working on establishing my name in the world of social media and digital marketing, and I’ve found there are some especially effective ways of using social media to do that.
Here are some tips on how to use social media to network more effectively:
- Tell People Who You Are – Make sure to fill out your LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook profiles completely to make yourself more searchable. This also makes it easy for people to get an idea of what you’re interested in and if your skills might align with what they’re looking for.
- Ask (Politely) for Recommendations on LinkedIn – It’s scary, I know, but it’s important to reach out to past/current employers or people who have worked with you professionally and ask them for recommendations. Having recommendations and people who are willing to back your skills and abilities will definitely stand out when someone looks at your profile. Here are some great tips on the etiquette of how best to go about asking, receiving and thanking people for recommendations.
- Find Your Field’s Social Media Community – There are Twitter chats, LinkedIn groups, Facebook groups and other social media groups for practically every profession. This is a great list of some of the best Twitter chats for people in the social media industry. Another group that I find very helpful for social media is the #GetRealChat hosted by Pam Marketing Nut.
- Use Your Manners – It seems simple, yet daily RTs go unthanked and responses go unanswered. It’s important to follow up with people after the initial interaction. If someone RTs something you post, thank them. If you RT someone else’s content and they thank you, respond. It’s a give and take relationship, but only if you let it!
- Don’t Be Shy – Have you thought about engaging or responding to a post, but then thought you were unqualified or the person would disregard your response? Forget that! People want to engage, otherwise they wouldn’t be on social media. Remember that next time you decide not to engage.
- Be Genuine – Social media shouldn’t be a never-ending interview. Have fun, be genuine and other people will be too! Yes, you can even make jokes and be yourself. That’s what it’s all about. (Just make sure you wouldn’t mind your future boss reading it!)
I work at home, and people always say that I must get so lonely and bored. The reality is that social media is truly an endless conversation with so many different and interesting people.
If you’re able to use it correctly, you’ll not only have fun, but you’ll also be able to network, meet friends, potential employers or hey, even a significant other!
This lucky girl found love AND a job using social media!
The possibilities really are endless. Now get to it!
~ Miss Soucie