“Life isn’t about finding yourself. It’s about creating yourself.”
– George Bernard Shaw
Not only is my blog about what I learn and experience with social media and digital marketing, but it’s also about my journey as a post-grad and an entrepreneur.
During the last year, the latter two have forced me to face a lot of “firsts” that I wouldn’t have otherwise.
Those who know me know that my family has completely desserted me leaving me to fend for myself (not really, but they did move out of Arizona).
Some of the fun things that I’ve been dealing with lately include: business taxes, financial advisors, loans, leasing cars, credit (who knew it was so temperamental?), obnoxious sales people, friends, clients, finding insurance, moving, establishing my brand and countless other things.
Here are a few words of wisdom that I’ve picked up along the way to help make everything just a little bit easier:
- Do Your Research: When it comes to finances, insurance, cars and all that fun stuff, everyone kept telling me what THEY think I should do. Don’t just listen to what people tell you, do your research and find out what’s really the best option.
- Don’t Settle: I have a friend that’s miserable in her job, and complains about it all the time, yet won’t do anything to change it. We’re young enough that we don’t have to settle for doing something that doesn’t make you happy. Find what you’re passionate about and go after it!
- Let Go of Baggage: Everyone has that friend or that thing that they hold on to for some unknown reason. It’s time to let it go and move on. Get the fresh start that you deserve!
- Family, Family Family: Everyone has heard the phrase, “blood’s always thicker than water,” and after graduation, it rings a lot more clear than every before. Make time for your family, they’ll always be there for you.
- Live in the Now: This is one that my boyfriend constantly has to remind me to do, and I am so thankful for that. Don’t get so caught up in where you’re trying to go that you forget to enjoy how amazing things are right now.
- Don’t Forget to Have Fun: Just because we’re not in college anymore doesn’t mean that we have to act like our parents. Go out, have fun and enjoy life; don’t age yourself any faster than you have to.
- Follow Your Dreams: Nothing is impossible. Want to take that trip to Europe? Move to a big city? Get that job you’ve been dreaming of? Don’t limit yourself. Find a way to make it happen.
It’s important not to lose yourself in the rat-race of becoming what people expect; married, kids, successful job, you know the M.O. You only get one life, so make it worth it!
What are some words of wisdom that have helped you get to where you are today?
~ Miss Soucie